Skip to main content

Festival of Colors

The main day, Holi, also known as Dhuli Vandana in Sanskrit,also Dhulheti, Dhulandi or Dhulendi, is celebrated by people throwing coloured powder and coloured water at each other. Bonfires are lit the day before, also known as Holika Dahan (burning of Holika) or Chhoti Holi (little Holi). The bonfires are lit in memory of the miraculous escape that young Prahlad accomplished when Demoness Holika, sister of Hiranyakashipu, carried him into the fire. Holika was burnt but Prahlad, a staunch devotee of god Vishnu, escaped without any injuries due to his unshakable devotion.

I would be around 11years old & till that time Holi was a festival of horror for me, as i hardly use to move out from home in the fear of colors................In true sense, colors are very much part of our life, it unites people from every creed, color, religion & culture..........It is such a lovely festival to be enjoyed...........Colors represent different moods of your life..........Playing with colors brings togetherness, unity, love, affection, friendship.................Children particularly enjoy the festival as they throw water filled balloons at passersby...and if anybody stares..they have ready answer, 'Bura na mano Holi hai..' and evoke a smile on the irritated face. Besides, they have their water missiles, called pichkaris to drench the person from far and escape further drenching. And, it is not just children, but the young and the old alike who take delight in this joyous festival of colours. Seniors too, move in their tolis. Their enthusiasm is at times greater than that of their children as they forget the bars of age and follow their hearts. To youth, holi gives a chance to explore the heights of their enthusiasm as they climb the human pyramids to break the pot of buttermilk and to express their love to their beloved by applying colour.


Last year's holi was very funny: Me, Anshuman & Shalu. We went to shalu's friend Mona's place, where there were around 6-7girls working with different software company lived together. I am a very shy person when it comes to dealing with girls & to a certain extent Anshuman is very smart in this manner. He is pretty smart in dealing with girls. Anshu & Shalu got quickly settled with all those girls around in the house & i was feeling very un-comfortable. All the girls painted each other & than both both of us also, initially we played with dry colors but later couple of water bouquets made us fully drenched in color of holi..........Now as every body were through with colors, it was time for dance...........I quickly got aside as i am very bad dancer atleast i can never dance infront of so many girls...........Anshu saw a good chance for making a video, he pulled me in between the girls & started shooting the video....I was standing in between the fully drenched girls & feeling so shy.............Each of the girl tried their best to make me dance.............but i was standing hard like a statue........hhehehehee..........i was smiling & girls were pulling as far as they can to make a single move from me..........Quickly a girl come & took camera from Anshu, to make me comfortable for dancing........still i am standing like a statue.....................After making couple of efforts they got tired............We were finished after a while but when we watched the recap of that video, everyone was laughing like hahahahahahahhaah & i was embraced so much to watch that video..........
I would like to request you all..........Play HOliiiiiiiiiiiiiii & enjoy the colors of life with out any fear................
Bura Na Mano Holi Hai

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi Devu....
once again u presented one of yr own experience .Its beautifully and honestly represented by u.
i wanted to be there with monica and all other girls, who tried soooooooooooooo hard to make u dance but could not.
if i were there, there was no way u could say no to dance.just kidding, nice work Devu,keep it up.i dont like HOLI so much myself,i have my own reason for not liking it but i love to see others playing this.WISH U A VERY HAPPY HOLI,enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Devendra said…
Dear Well Wisher,

Thanks for your comments.....Sometimes i think i can be a big comic star with all my fun stories....Thats true, i always like to present my real life in each of my stories & all characters of my stories are very much true.....
Oye hoyee...i wish u were there...
Thanks for your kind Holi Wishes

Popular posts from this blog

How to bring SMILE :-) when it is difficult to?

Its been longtime since i am writing this blog, there are reason when i write a blog..................Most of the time when i am happy & feel like smiling, i immediately jump on the blogger site to write my set of stories. A day before yesterday, i was so tired & was feeling very sad. Most of the time when i am sad, i try to go near by a market or a shopping mall that really delight me......I was just sitting at Subway restaurant with my Foot-long veggie delite thinking about - Why is it difficult to smile? When you feel that it is really difficult to smile everything seems to you very irritating, jokes looks like foolish, people looks like enemies, you want to be all alone, you don't get delighted with any big or good news........The same feelings are all around me, i am feeling difficult to smile, even there are lot of reasons to smile but yet my face is empty................. Napoleon Bonaparte said- "Everything is possible in his dictionary&q

Confused between Love & Infatuation...................................

Love & Infatuation are two different things, how many times did you felt that you are in love but actually its not love & is thought of your mind. 90% cases are such where we feel like love but in reality its not love but infatuation.  Before i move forward describing each of the words - Love & Infatuation, let us understand the meaning of each of these words: Love  is described as: a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend. sexual passion or desire. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart. infatuation  is described as a foolish and usually extravagant passion or love or admiration temporary love of an adolescent an object of extravagant short-lived passion Symptoms of love vs infatuation The foremost symptom of being infatuated by a person is wanting to be around that person. This may sometimes also be sexual des

My First Interview for Marriage Proposal

I was recovering from my viral fever & all hats of to my mom whose efforts had made me recovered so quickly. My platelet counts had gone below the standard mark & I had to take off from my office for almost 2 weeks. I informed my father about illness & requested if they can come for a while to take care of me. Since my mother is a heart patient so we generally avoid giving her shock or any such news which disturbs her. My father told her that we are going to Gurgaon for a while to meet Tinku & will stay for atleast 2-3days. (Tinku is my pet name, so don’t make a joke of it ok.) My mother was over surprised because my father hardly gets space/ time from his job. He loves his job more than my mother, so it was hard for my mother to swallow it so quickly. She had the only thought in her mind was of marriage proposal, she had been dreaming for my marriage for more than a year. Reality was hard for her to see as she got to know about my illness only when she arrived at m