Skip to main content

Lohri

Lohri, a seasonal festival of North India is as old as that of story of Indus Valley civilization itself. The Festival of Lohri marks the beginning of the end of winter and the coming of spring and the New Year. The Lohri of north India coincides with Pongal in Tamil Nadu, Makar Sankranti in Bengal, Magha Bihu in Assam, Tai Pongal in Kerala, all celebrated on the auspicious day of Makar Sankranti. Lohri is essentially a festival dedicated to fire and the sun god. It is the time when the sun transits the zodiac sign Makar (Capricorn), and moves towards the north. In astrological terms, this is referred to as the sun becoming Uttarayan. The new configuration lessens the ferocity of winter, and brings warmth to earth. It is to ward off the bitter chill of the month of January that people light bonfires, dance around it in a mood of bonhomie and celebrate Lohri. Fire is associated with concepts of life and health. Fire, like water, is a symbol of transformation and regeneration. It is the representative of the sun, and is thus related, on the one hand with rays of light, and on the other with gold. It is capable of stimulating the growth of cornfields and the well being of man and animals. It is the imitative magic purporting to assure the supply of light and heat. It is also an image of energy and spiritual strength. That is why the Lohri fire gets sanctified and is venerated like a deity. On this occasion, people offer peanuts, popcorn and sweets made of til- chirva, gajak and revri – to propitiate fire as a symbol of the sun god.



Lohri Girls Songs
“Hulle nee maiyee hulle
do beri patte jhulle
do jhul payeaan kahjurran
khajurran suttya meva
es munde de ghar mangeva
es munde di voti nikdi
oh! khandi choori, kutdi
Kut! Kut! Bharaya thaal woti bave nananaa nal
Ninaan te wadi parjaee
So kudma de ghar aayee!
My bebe doesn?t remember the lines after this so she tells me..
Chant
mein lohri lain aayee!”

Translation
“Two berry leaves are hanging
Two date leaves are also hanging
The tree shed the fruit
There’s an engagement in this boy’s house
This boy’s wife is short
She eats and grinds choori(a punjabi dish)
She grinds and grinds and fills the plate?.the wife sits with her sisters in law
Sister in law and the elder son’s wife
Are in their in-laws house
My bebe doesn’t remember the lines after this so she tells me..
Chant
I have come to take my Lohri ”


Lohri Boys Songs
Tera kaun vicaharaa ho!
Dullah bhatti walla ho!
Dullhe di dhee vyayae ho!
Ser shakkar payee ho!
Kudi da laal pathaka ho!
Kudi da saalu paatta ho!
Salu kaun samete!
Chache choori kutti! zamidara lutti!
Zamindaar sudhaye!
bade bhole aaye!
Ek bhola reh gaya!
Sipahee pakad ke lai gaya!
Sipahee ne mari eet!
Sanoo de de lohri te teri jeeve jodi! (Cry or howl!)
Paheenve ro te phannve pit! ”

Translation
“The 'ho's are in chorus
Who do you have
The groom with the tandoor
The groom’s daughter got married
He gave 1 kg sugar!
The girl is wearing a red suit!
But her shawl is torn!
Who will stitch her shawl?!
The uncle made choori!
The landlords ate it!
He made the landlords eat a lot!
Lots of innocent guys came
One innocent boy got left behind
The police arrested him!
The policeman hit him with a brick!
Cry or howl!
Give us lohri ..long live your jodi!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to bring SMILE :-) when it is difficult to?

Its been longtime since i am writing this blog, there are reason when i write a blog..................Most of the time when i am happy & feel like smiling, i immediately jump on the blogger site to write my set of stories. A day before yesterday, i was so tired & was feeling very sad. Most of the time when i am sad, i try to go near by a market or a shopping mall that really delight me......I was just sitting at Subway restaurant with my Foot-long veggie delite thinking about - Why is it difficult to smile? When you feel that it is really difficult to smile everything seems to you very irritating, jokes looks like foolish, people looks like enemies, you want to be all alone, you don't get delighted with any big or good news........The same feelings are all around me, i am feeling difficult to smile, even there are lot of reasons to smile but yet my face is empty................. Napoleon Bonaparte said- "Everything is possible in his dictionary&q

Confused between Love & Infatuation...................................

Love & Infatuation are two different things, how many times did you felt that you are in love but actually its not love & is thought of your mind. 90% cases are such where we feel like love but in reality its not love but infatuation.  Before i move forward describing each of the words - Love & Infatuation, let us understand the meaning of each of these words: Love  is described as: a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend. sexual passion or desire. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart. infatuation  is described as a foolish and usually extravagant passion or love or admiration temporary love of an adolescent an object of extravagant short-lived passion Symptoms of love vs infatuation The foremost symptom of being infatuated by a person is wanting to be around that person. This may sometimes also be sexual des

My First Interview for Marriage Proposal

I was recovering from my viral fever & all hats of to my mom whose efforts had made me recovered so quickly. My platelet counts had gone below the standard mark & I had to take off from my office for almost 2 weeks. I informed my father about illness & requested if they can come for a while to take care of me. Since my mother is a heart patient so we generally avoid giving her shock or any such news which disturbs her. My father told her that we are going to Gurgaon for a while to meet Tinku & will stay for atleast 2-3days. (Tinku is my pet name, so don’t make a joke of it ok.) My mother was over surprised because my father hardly gets space/ time from his job. He loves his job more than my mother, so it was hard for my mother to swallow it so quickly. She had the only thought in her mind was of marriage proposal, she had been dreaming for my marriage for more than a year. Reality was hard for her to see as she got to know about my illness only when she arrived at m